Delivery and Test Set Up of Mathis Mount

Subscribe to Syndicate

Left home at 9:55 AM and checked in to Forward Air to get the shipment documents which I then had to run over to the other side of the airport to Canada Customs to have the shipment cleared.  Forward Air wants $60 for a terminal fee.  The agent at customs was very nice and seemed to know exactly what I was importing.  After a 20 minute wait for the paper work to get processed, the agent directed me to the cashier to pay the taxes and then launched into a a bunch of topics about astronomy, Star Trek, etc.  I paid the taxes without hassles and then headed back to Forward Air to claim the shipment.  Found out they don't accept cash.  Back to a CIBC bank just around the corner to get a money order.  Back to Forward Air, and paid the fee.  A dock handler kindly helped me with getting the three crates to fit into the Jeep.  They just fit. Got home at 2 PM and hand lunch.  At 2:30 PM, I unpacked the crates and began the process of uncrating the parts. Wow, was it nicely packed.  It was a bit of a puzzle to back off the bolts that held various parts to the plywood packing structure. Nothing damaged and everything checks out. Tonight, I used a Black & Decker WorkMate on which to assemble and test the mount.  I used 8, 3" #8 wood screws with washers to screw the rocker base at one end of the WorkMate.  I also added a large C-clamp at the south end to further secure the polar base to the WorkMate. Once loaded, the mount would want to tilt north. The polar assembly went on the rocker base and I set the latitude to approximately 45 degrees using the adjustment screw at the south end of the polar base.  The polar assembly was then secured in place with the 4 supplied stainless steel bolts and washers. To attach the central hub, I threaded the 1/2" centre pin into the polar base.  This pin then received the fork hub.  The hub is then secured to the polar base with a 1/2" nut on the centre pin and 4 additional bolts. The west fork arm was attached to the hub first using 4 bolts.  This is the heavier arm than contains the DEC gear and electronics.  Next, the east fork arm was attached, also using  bolts. I popped of the RA gear housing to have a look and found out I have the belt-driven gear train.  I don't know the difference between it and the belt-less gear train. One of the little screws that attaches the trapezoidal motor cover was sticking out about 1/8" (or less), and when I tried to tighten it down, the correct-sized allen wrench would not insert fully and cannot grip the socket.  There seems to be some "gunk" in the socket. I'll have to see if I can dig it out.